Community Connection: Spotlight on Vitalant
WHAT THEY DO:
Founded in 1943, Vitalant is one of the nation’s oldest and largest nonprofit transfusion medicine organizations. With a network of community blood centers, Vitalant facilitates the donation of blood and plasma from healthy individuals, with the mission to save lives. Currently, in addition to hosting blood drives, Vitalant is seeking out patients who have recovered from the COVID-19 virus to donate plasma in an effort to collect virus antibodies as treatment for patients battling the illness.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Make an appointment to donate. There is a local North Scottsdale location that’s easily accessible at 15170 N. Hayden Road.
- Host a platelet party or blood drive.
- Use your influence and network to drive awareness, support urgent blood donation, and to suggest potential Vitalant ambassadors.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Only 10% of the population eligible to donate blood, does so.
- One donation can help up to three different patients.
- About 6.8 million volunteers give blood in the U.S., which is nearly 26 percent fewer donors than 10 years ago. The result is nearly 4.2 million fewer donations each year.